BITTER MELON CHIPS
Making bitter melon chips is a delicious and healthy way to enjoy the unique flavor of bitter melon. Here’s a simple recipe to prepare bitter melon chips:
- 2 medium-sized bitter melons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil of your choice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional seasonings (such as paprika, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper) for added flavor
- Prep the Bitter Melon:
- Wash the bitter melons thoroughly.
- Slice the bitter melons into thin, uniform rounds, about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. You can use a knife or a mandoline slicer for even slices.
- Remove the seeds from the center of each slice, as they can be quite bitter.
- To reduce the bitterness, soak the bitter melon slices in a bowl of saltwater for about 30 minutes. Use 1-2 tablespoons of salt for every 4 cups of water. After soaking, rinse the slices thoroughly and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Place the dried bitter melon slices in a mixing bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over the slices, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. You can also add optional seasonings for extra flavor, such as paprika, garlic powder, or cayenne pepper.
- Toss the bitter melon slices in the bowl to ensure they are evenly coated with the oil and seasonings.
- Line one or more baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Arrange the seasoned bitter melon slices in a single layer on the baking sheets, ensuring they don’t overlap.
- Place the baking sheets in the preheated oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the chips become crisp and start to brown around the edges. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
- Once the chips are done, remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking sheets for a few minutes.
- Serve the bitter melon chips as a healthy snack or a side dish.