Top 10 reasons to be grateful for Moringa, “The Miracle Tree”
By Lainie ‘Sevante’ Wulkan
In the quest for health and wellness, both a passion of mine personally and professionally, I seek the best Mother Nature has to offer. I love to dive deep into the world of natural healing and come across finds such as the almighty Moringa. This natural resource of goodness has been coined over and over ‘The Miracle Tree’ (aka Drumstick tree, Horseradish tree (their roots taste like horseradish), Ben oil tree, “Mother’s Best Friend” and “Never Die ” tree). Moringa has earned star status globally and to jumpstart your journey with this plant of plenty I’ll share my top 10 reasons why.
Moringa is from Southeast Asia and Africa and is widely cultivated in the tropics. India accounts for 80% of worldwide consumption. It grows in the Himalayan foothills and nine species occur in eastern Ethiopia, northern Kenya, and Somalia, of which eight are endemic to Africa.
In The FoodHealing Oracle Deck® (FHOD) which is a uniquely blended world of Spirit & Science that shares the deeper messages of 60 fruits, vegetables, herbs & spices, Moringa has been assigned (channeled) “Gratitude” with good reason. FHOD already had “Miracles” given to another masterful plant, Soursop and we’ll be sharing more on her amazingness soon.
Moringa is not only a superstar from the nutritional aspect, but also for its fast growing and drought resistant qualities, thus making it ideal for those regions in the world where there are hunger issues and cultivation of foods is critical to life sustaining existence.
Back in 2000, when HIV/AIDS was dominating the world and decimating African populations, organizations looked at this “Miracle Tree” as an indigenous resource and beacon of hope to fight against malnutrition and help people infected stay healthier longer.
In fact, there was even an International Conference organized by the National Council of Churches dedicated to the Moringa Tree in Atlanta GA. Global conferences continue throughout the world to educate moringa farmers on best practices to harvest and cultivate this world gem and explore further its supreme nutritional value.
While many fruits and vegetables have parts to them that are inedible, the Moringa tree is edible in all its parts – leaves, leaf powder, pods, seeds, flowers, roots and bark. Thus, it creates a bounty of nutritional protein, calcium, magnesium, potassium, minerals, iron and several other important vitamins waiting to be consumed.
With all this nutrition embodied in this most unassuming plant, what are the 10 best reasons we’re grateful to bring this miracle into your kitchen? Let’s give it a go so then you can too.
- A powerhouse of nutrition! A study done by the National Institute of Health has indicated that Moringa contains more vitamin A than carrots, more calcium than milk, more iron than spinach, more vitamin C than oranges, and more potassium than bananas, and the protein quality of Moringa leaves is claimed to be similar to milk and eggs. There are over 46 antioxidants and 36 anti-inflammatory compounds all naturally occurring in the Moringa plant.
- Anti-inflammatory – Inflammation is one of the main culprits of disease in the body. Chronic inflammation symptoms include fatigue/lack of energy, weight gain, insomnia, anxiety, gastrointestinal issues and more. Moringa is loaded with natural compounds, including quercetin that may alleviate these symptoms.
- Diabetes support – Moringa has been used in the diets of diabetics to lower blood glucose levels. With diabetes being one of the top global concerns, this is phenomenal news. The phytochemical properties in Moringa are found in their leaves, fruits, roots and oil. Another great NIH study looked at blood glucose levels from different demographics, including post – menopausal women and showed lowered results.
- Mega Protein Source – Monica G. Marcu, a Clinical Pharmacologist and Author of Miracle Tree indicates that Moringa is one of the very few plant sources that contains all 9 essential amino acids, making it one of the best protein sources in its natural state. This is great news for vegans!
- Moringa has “the good fats”. It’s loaded with the Monounsaturated Fat, Oleic Acid (about 73-75%). Monounsaturated fats are the “good fats” our body needs. Unsaturated fats help against diseases including cancer, anxiety and depression, autoimmune issues and certain infections. Oleic Acid helps fight free radical damage that causes disease and also helps your heart, brain, mood and cells.
- Women’s Health at any age – Wherever you are in your cycle, Moringa has been shown to have a positive impact. From reduced menstrual cramps, to increased fertility to hormonal balance and support during menopause. Moringa has seemed to offer its assistance throughout the whole journey.
- Hair & Skin Glow for decades – Anti -Wrinkles? Check. Acne and Skin inflammations? Check. Dark spots? Check. Strong and Shiny Hair? Check Check. Has Moringa become the new ‘go to’ in the beauty industry? Yes. There are articles now from natural publications to mainstream glamour and fashion magazines sharing how the Vitamin A, C, E, Quercetin, anti-inflammatory benefits, fats and overall ingredients are smoothing out the skin and making you feel and look great!
- Weight Loss – Bye bye extra pounds! For those with constipation and digestive issues, moringa can get things going. Due to its insoluble and soluble fiber content, weight loss is inevitable. What’s the difference between the two? Insoluble fibers help constipation and IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) while soluble fiber helps with digestion and cholesterol. When both are present, there is a lot of elimination and thus, weight loss. Lastly Moringa helps to curb cravings and its Chlorogenic acid helps to burn fat and lower and balance blood sugar levels. Bonus!
- Love that Liver! – Our body’s major detoxifier of waste, chemicals, metals, and fat gets loved up by this powerful plant. Moringa has a high concentration of polyphenols (reducing agents in the body that protect the body’s tissues against oxidative stress and other diseases such as cancer, heart disease, inflammation) and allow this major organ to do its job!
- Mental Health Matters – Depression, Anxiety, Alzheimers, Dementia , Moringa is looking promising for the brain! It is believed that nearly 50 million people worldwide are suffering from Alzheimers alone. Moringa has been looked at in treatment. The Journal of Alzheimers shared a study in animals in which Moringa reduced oxidative stress. It’s polyphenols, phytochemicals and Vitamins are a winning combination worth celebrating and I’m greatly looking forward to more research here.
Ways to enjoy Moringa in your meals?
Super Food Energy Powder
I am fond of having it in a liquid medium and carry the Nutreglo brand of Moringa Super Food Energy Powder here. It is loaded with not only Moringa, but also Milled Flax seeds, Hemp Protein, Wheat Grass, Korean Ginseng, Jamaican Noni, Ginkgo leaf, Chile Pomegranates, Sarsaparilla, Indian Gooseberry), Spirulina, Ginger root, Goji (wolfberry), Acai Berry, Maca, Moringa leaf extract and dry Irish Sea moss. It’s a perfect addition for your smoothies.
Straight Moringa powder is available to use in meals, sprinkled on salads, baked with, you name it. I like Moringa Leaf Powder from US Naturals Wellness.
It’s raw, organic straight from India and is 100% leaf only, no stems, twigs, roots or sand in the bags or additives or dyes. Clean.
Traditional Medicinals offers a Moringa tea that is USDA organic and non-gmo. It also has Spearmint & Sage in it. When you follow The Food Healing Oracle Deck’s healing wisdom words, Moringa is “Gratitude”, Mint is “Healing” and Sage is “clearing.”
We’d affirm gratitude with this tea as it’s clearing the way to healing!
The “Miracle Tree” was written by Dr. Monica Marcu, Pharm.D., and Ph.D. as a result of her study of medicinal plants and her definitive research of one of our greatest trees, the Moringa oleifera. This book defines the hundreds of substances such as vitamins, enzymes, amino acids, fats, minerals, specific phytochemicals, each with clear importance and numerous applications in healing and nutrition.
This unique book is written by Dr. Nicole Apelian – an herbalist with over 20 years of experience working with plants, and Claude Davis, a wild west expert passionate about the lost remedies and wild edibles that kept previous generations alive.
Native to the sub-Himalayan regions of India and Nepal, moringa thrives in drought-like conditions. We blend it with sage and spearmint for a refreshing, minty lift, perfect for everyday support. Taste: Earthy and floral with uplifting hints of mint. Plant Story: Ayurvedic healers have been using moringa—a.k.a. “the Miracle Tree”—for over 3,000 years for its many benefits.
Moringa Powder SUPERFOOD BOOST; One tablespoon gives you 7x the vitamin C of an orange, 4x the calcium of milk, and several other necessary minerals and vitamins that keep your body healthy. Each leaf contains all 9 ESSENTIAL amino acids to support your healthy diet. Your body will feel rejuvenated from receiving vitamin b, iron, vitamin a, potassium, protein and many more;
This is the caffeine-free alternative you will love. Now that’s what we call a superfood!
SMOOTHIES – Nourishing Wisdom Beyond the Blend! Enjoy 33 delicious and enlightened recipes with attuned affirmations for each one.
Recipes are inspired by The Food Healing Oracle Deck® Vol I and feature chakra, angelic, nature’s five elements, hot and cold smoothies.
NOTE: This blog is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. While there is promising research currently evaluating soursop and other similar products, we are sharing collective wisdom researched thus far.
Some of these links may garner an affiliate commission which does not change the price to you.
Lainie “Sevante” Wulkan is the Co-Author of The Food Healing Oracle Deck® – Nourishing Wisdom from Mother Earth series which brings a bridge of Spirit & Science in seeing food in an entirely new light for emotional, mental, physical and spiritual (EMPS) wellness. She is also the Co-Author of Smoothies – Nourishing Wisdom Beyond the Blend! A 33-recipe book inspired from the teaching from The Food Healing Oracle Deck, Vol. I.
She is also Host of the Nourish Your Soul Show on the HealthyLife.Net Network. She teaches classes on a variety of food and spirtual topics related to mind, body and spirit wellness. Sevante is a 4th generation intuitive, an Advanced Food Healing Instructor and holds a degree in Food Science from California State University Northridge’s renowned Marilyn Magaram Center for Food Science, Nutrition and Dietetics. Through classes and 1:1 healing sessions, she focuses her energy on showing people how to see food differently and how Mother Nature has provided clues all along in our foods to feed the body temple and nourish our mind, body and spirit.